2009年11月20日金曜日

Time

1. Please explain a time proverb in your culture.

We have a lot of time proverbs, such as
Sankan-shion”(三寒四温)
"Akinohiha-turubeotoshi”(秋の日はつるべ落とし)

"Sankan-shion" is in winter near the spring, it is said that if 3 days are very cold, 4 days will be warm. It is one of the Japanese superstitions.

"Akinohiha-turubeotoshi" means that Japanese sky at sunset is getting dark soon. This situation is similar to "Turube" (a well bucket in the well)

Those proverbs shows Japanese feelings, aren't they??

We also have "Time is money(時は金なり)"



2. What do the following proverbs mean:

a. Time is money.
Time is very important for us.
It is much important as money.


b. A stitch in time saves nine.
If you sew at once, you don't need to sew nine.
I guess,this proverb means you should do anything as soon as you can.
it is similar to "Korobanu-saki-no-tue"(Look before you leap)

c. There's no time like the present.
This means "it is no more chance, you should do it right now!"
"Senzai-ichigu"(千載一遇) is Japanese proverb.


d.Let's meet at 4. If I'm not there by 5, leave without me at 6, and I'll be there at 7.
....Sorry, I have no idea.. But, I try to guess!

I think "Try to wait for me forever"
It is love proverb!! The girl said this proverb, maybe "can you wait for me until 7? = Do you like me?"

↑it is just my imagination. Don't trust it.


I found Japanese and English proverb site.
Please try it if you want to search.


http://www6.plala.or.jp/yhayashi/jkotowazamenu.html

3 件のコメント:

  1. I didn't know the proverb ”Sankan-shion”(三寒四温). I know the clothing shop named "3 can 4 on". It must be named after this proverb. It is interesting.

    返信削除
  2. I like your guess. it's very nice proverb for girls!! the site was very useful for me thank you very much:)

    返信削除
  3. Your idea about d questions is very interesting! It's very romantic, hah? I want to try it my boyfriend someday!

    返信削除