2009年6月7日日曜日

1.Are feelings, emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc..?

I think we have a lot of universal across borders.
But it is a certainly that only human have a "emotion".
Therefore we have a lot of common emotion.

2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. ( 10 minimum) Then, write the English translation

There are a lot of feeling words in the world.
Tell you a few example.

楽しい  (happy)   
嬉しい  (glad)
面白い  (interesting)
腹が立つ  (angry)
悲しい  (sad)
心配するanxious
妬む (envy)
疲れる  (tired)
恥ずかしい  (ashamed)
退屈  (boring)
緊張する  (nervous)

3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English?

Yes,a lot!!
Japanese has a lot of humility word.
For example,
If you are want to say "今後ともよろしくお願いします"
What are you going to say?
Will you say "Nice to meet you" in English? Is this same meening?? NO!!!
I think it is simmilar meening, but diffarent, Isn't it?

It is very difficult for Japanese to tell humble words for foreigner.

13 件のコメント:

  1. hi cherry blossom!
    yes, I think so,too. Japanese has lots of humble form and polite form and these are very difficult to say in English. it is very different.

    返信削除
  2. hello♪”
    I tried to tranlate "今後ともよろしくお願いします" into English by アルク.
    As a result, this word was changed "It's a pleasure doing business with you."
    I think it is possible to translate every JApanese feelings into English.
    If you have interest, please use it!!
    http://www.alc.co.jp/index.html

    返信削除
  3. Hello☆
    I think so too.
    It is very difficult to say English about Japanese original customs.

    返信削除
  4. Hello, chiken. Thank you for your comments.
    Yes, it is very difficult for Japanese to tell humble words for foreigner.
    But it is very interesting point for learning English people, Isn't it?

    返信削除
  5. hi,chu-chu-chu-☆ミ
    Thank you for your comment.
    You are very cute name, aren't you? haha
    Did you check 今後ともよろしくお願いします!? Oh, you are great!!
    「It's a pleasure doing business with you."」

    I was surprised that using "Business" in this sentence. Yes, very very unique.
    Thanks a lots.

    返信削除
  6. hi, kiki. Thank you for your comment.
    Yes. we are diffarent costoms each countries.
    Therefore, we have just learned cross culture!!
    Try to study a lot each other, kiki.

    返信削除
  7. Hello,Chiken.
    i think so too!
    Japanese greeting words are difficult to translate. I think Japanese greeting is very hard expression.

    返信削除
  8. I agree with your opinion on no.3. Japanese is quite humility and complicated, isn`t it? :-)

    返信削除
  9. Hi!
    I agree with you. よろしくお願いしますis not use by English speakers. When I went to America, this word made me distraught.

    返信削除
  10. Hi, Cherry Blossom.
    I completely agree with your opinion.
    Actually, Japanese is difficult to translate into English.
    I think Japanese greeting has very individual styles.

    返信削除
  11. ohh I think it is very difficult question. 今後ともよろしくお願いします” can `t transfer. I think. And I have heard that "つまらない物ですが”can`t transfer. Because foreigners don`t understand why Japanese bring things that they don`t need. haha

    返信削除
  12. I am very sorry but I have misplaced the sign-up sheet with the volunteers names and email addresses on it. If you signed up to make potato salad, set-up, cook/serve food, or clean up, please leave me a comment!

    返信削除
  13. Hi,
    'Nice to meet you.' is surely 今後ともよろしくお願いします. But I think the nuance is slightly different. I think that it is difficulut to translate language, because there are individual culuture each country.

    返信削除